January 13, 2015
8 Safety Tips For Winter Sports
Tips To Stay Safe While Enjoying Winter Sports
The cold winter weather is not enough to keep adventurers inside. While enjoying all the winter activities that are not available the rest of the year, it is important to make sure you know how to stay safe. Keep these 8 safety tips for winter sports in mind to ensure you have a safe and fun season.
- Gear up – always make sure that you wear the proper safety gear when enjoying winter activities, especially a helmet. Wearing a properly fitting helmet can help reduce the chance of a serious head injury when enjoying the outdoors.
- Dress appropriately – even though you are doing physical activity, make sure to wear plenty of layers to protect you from the cold. Hats, scarves, gloves, and boots will help to keep your extremities warm in the cold.
- Wear sunscreen – apply sunscreen that has at least 15 SPF every time you are going outdoors. Just because you cannot feel the heat from the sun in the winter does not mean that you cannot get sunburned.
- Take breaks – it is much easier for children to lose body heat than adults. Make sure children come inside frequently to take breaks and warm up.
- Drink up – make sure to drink plenty of fluids before, during, and after any winter activities to ensure that you stay hydrated.
- Take lessons – a couple snowboarding or skiing lessons will help you be much safer on the slopes by teaching you basic safety tips.
- Look out – whenever you are on the slopes, make sure to look out for other people. Try to hit the slopes when it is less busy, such as during the week.
- Check the weather – before you head out, make sure to check the weather report. If there are high winds or extreme cold in the forecast, consider staying inside and rescheduling your plans.
For more winter safety tips on how to enjoy the cold weather this season, contact Brewer-Lloyd Insurance Group in Mesa, Arizona.