October 15, 2015
Keeping Your Family Safe From Carbon Monoxide
Carbon Monoxide Dangers
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is created by the burning of any material that contains carbon, including natural gas, gasoline, coal, propane, or wood. Carbon monoxide replaces the oxygen in the blood, interfering with the transport of necessary oxygen to cells throughout the body. There are many steps that you can take to ensure that you never have to deal with carbon monoxide poisoning at your house, including:
- Understand the risks – anything that burns any type of fuel, including a fireplace, furnace, gas appliance, or car, will produce carbon monoxide. Ensuring that all of these devices are properly vented and maintained will help to cut down on the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Keep vents clear – during and after a storm, check to ensure that nothing is blocking the vents out of your house, including your stove, dryer, fireplace, and furnace. Keeping your vents clear will help to make sure that carbon monoxide can exit out of your home.
- Never run engines in a closed area – do not light a stove or grill, run a generator, or start a car in a closed area, such as your garage. Keep in mind that even if you keep your garage door open, the carbon monoxide can easily build up to dangerous levels so ensure that you have enough ventilation.
- Install alarms – just like smoke alarms will alert you to a fire in your house, carbon monoxide alarms will alert you to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in your home. Carbon monoxide alarms should be installed on every level of your house and outside of every sleeping area.
Installing and regularly maintaining your carbon monoxide alarms will not only work to keep you and your loved ones safe, but they can also help you qualify for a discount on your homeowners insurance policy. Contact Brewer-Lloyd Insurance Group in Mesa, Arizona for all of your home insurance needs.