October 22, 2014
The People’s Guide to a Safe Halloween
Every year on October 31st, children take to the streets in hopes of getting tons of sweets! Halloween is one of the most celebrated holidays in the United States, but it can also be one of the most dangerous. Although falls are the leading cause of injuries to young children, four times as many children ages 5-14 are killed on Halloween night rather than any other night. This is mainly attributed to the sheer number of children that are walking and going door to door in hopes of acquiring more delicious candy.
Many of these accidents and injuries alike could’ve been prevented; here are a few tips that could help avert an emergency room visit.
- Instead of a mask, use face paint; masks can obstruct a child’s vision. Low light conditions at night exaggerate the effect further.
- COVER your child’s costume in reflective tape.
- Make sure your child’s costume fits loosely enough so they can move about freely.
- In order to prevent your child from tripping, make sure the hemline stays above the ankles.
- Never use real knives or sharp objects, only cardboard and imitation.
Children’s Guide to Trick or Treating
- First and foremost, WALK. There is no need to run.
- Always carry a cellphone; know your home phone number.
- Your quest for large amounts of candy should be traveled along familiar roads, preferably in small groups of friends (accompanied by an adult if under the age of 12).
- Look left, right, and left again before crossing any street.
- Never walk into somebody’s home; unless an adult accompanies you, stay on the porch if invited inside.
- Bring candy home and inspect carefully before eating.
Motorists Guide to a Safe Halloween
- Use excessive caution upon entering or exiting driveways, alleyways, or intersections.
- Drive extra slow with your foot masking the brake.
- Constantly scan for children walking
- Leave early to avoid rushing; plan for a slow drive
Wishing you a happy Halloween from the Brewer Lloyd insurance group of Mesa! Serving Arizona with quality, care, and compassion since 2005. Contact us for all of your Home/Life/Auto and commercial insurance needs.