December 9, 2014
Fireproof Your Home This Winter By Keeping In Mind These Winter Fire Hazards And Tips
Safety Tips to Prevent Winter Fire Hazards
The winter months bring all sorts of fun and festive things, such as family and friends coming together for the holidays to fill your home with love and warmth. The winter season can also bring with it some fire hazards that can make your holidays take a dangerous turn. Keep in mind these common winter fire hazards and tips to prevent any fire disasters that could ruin your holiday.
- Fireplaces: Fireplaces are a festive way to warm your home while you are surrounded by family and friends this winter. To prevent any complications with your fireplace there are a few things you can do:
- Have your chimney inspected for buildup which could cause a dangerous chimney fire.
- Avoid putting flammable liquids, evergreen trimmings, and wrapping paper in your fireplace because they can cause flames to get out of hand and they can also cause toxic smoke.
- To keep sparks and embers from coming into the room, a fireplace screen is recommended.
- Portable Heaters: Many people use portable space heaters during the winter because they can be cheaper than heating the whole house. However, these heaters come with some fire danger. To use them safely you should do these things:
- Place them at least three feet away from anything that could catch fire.
- Turn them off when you leave the room or go to sleep, and do not leave them unattended or with small children.
- Make sure your portable heaters are in safe working condition before operating them.
- Decorations: While a major part of the holiday festivities, decorations often have a dangerous side that you should keep in mind. To lessen your chances of your festive decorations turning into fire hazards, keep these things in mind:
- Avoid decorations made out of material that is sharp or breakable, flammable, or small enough for a child to swallow.
- Make sure your lights do not have frayed cords or exposed wires, which could cause electrical and fire hazards.
- Water your holiday tree regularly to prevent it from drying out and becoming more flammable.
Contact the Brewer-Lloyd Insurance Group in Mesa for all of your Arizona homeowners insurance needs. Keep your home and your loved ones safe during the winter months with these fire safety tips. Give your home the protection it needs this winter with a great policy today!