November 10, 2015
Avoid Illness And Injury This Thanksgiving With These Tips
Safely enjoy your Thanksgiving with these tips.
Can you believe that tomorrow is Thanksgiving? While putting the final touches on your table layout and checking your pantry for all the right ingredients, it is important to take the time to make sure that you know how to prevent any injuries or illnesses this holiday. Keep these Thanksgiving safety tips in mind to help you fully enjoy turkey day!
Avoid food poisoning
- Fully defrost your turkey before you start cooking by keeping it in the fridge. Make sure to place your turkey on a tray to catch any juices as it defrosts.
- Use a food thermometer to ensure that the fattest part of the turkey, typically the breast or thigh, reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Put all leftovers in the fridge within two hours of cooking.
Prevent a fire
- Stay in your kitchen whenever you are cooking something on your stove top. While you don’t have to stay in the kitchen while something is in the oven, someone should be home at all times.
- Keep children away from the stovetop while cooking. Create a safety zone that is at least 3 feet wide while cooking.
- Check all the smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your house to ensure that they are working properly.
- Take your car into your mechanic for any regularly scheduled maintenance to help avoid any breakdowns.
- Never drink and drive. If you are planning on having a holiday cocktail, make sure that you have a designated sober driver.
- Leave earlier than you think you will need to. Roads are highly congested on holidays. Leaving early will give you plenty of time to get where you are going so that you do not have to rush.
For all of your insurance coverage needs to ensure that you are covered from any peril this Thanksgiving, contact Brewer-Lloyd Insurance Agency in Mesa, Arizona.